Saskatchewan's Rural Physician Incentive Program (RPIP)
RPIP is a grant available to recent medical graduates practicing in rural and remote communities throughout Saskatchewan. The program can pay out up to $120,000/physician incrementally over a period of five years. A rural or remote community in Saskatchewan is defined as one with a population of 10,000 or less. The program parameters, eligibility criteria and online application form are provided below.
This grant is available to physicians that meet the following eligibility criteria:
1. Successful completion of post-graduate or internship training in Family Medicine within the previous twenty-four (24) months for Canadian Medical Graduates (CMGs) or thirty-six (36) months for International Medical Graduates (IMGs).
2. Has full licensure, under Section 28, or provisional licensure, under Section 29 of The Medical Profession Act, in Saskatchewan at the time of application.
3. Has established a full-time practice or provided visiting or locum service* during the previous twelve (12) months in a rural Saskatchewan community with a population of 10,000 or less and are currently practicing in a rural Saskatchewan community with a population of 10,000 or less. Practice requirements include:
- Practicing with a collegial primary care team that is either physically or virtually connected in a group practice environment, and
- Practising in alignment with and supported by the Regional Health Authority (RHA) and community as a sustainable practice.**
4. Practice commencing on or after April 1, 2012 will be considered for the grant; practice prior to April 1, 2012 will not be considered.
5. All eligible physicians will be required to sign an annual agreement.
All applicants must meet the above eligibility criteria to be considered for the grant.
All rural or remote communities in the province of Saskatchewan with a population of 10,000 or less are eligible under the program with the exception of: Balgonie, Clavet, Dalmeny, Delisle, Langham, Lumsden, Martensville, Pense, Pilot Butte, Warman and White City.
Practice requirements, as outlined in the Program Parameters above must be met.
Adjudication and Start Date:
Adjudication of all RPIP applications for recent CMGs and IMGs will be made by saskdocs. The start date will be the date the physician commenced practice in an eligible community.
Disbursement of Grant:
Disbursement of the RPIP grant for recent CMGs and IMGs will be made to qualifying physicians at the end of each year of practice according to the following scale:
- First Installment - $15,000 to be paid to the physician upon completion of twelve (12) months of satisfactory service to the community
- Second Installment - $15,000 to be paid to the physician upon completion of twenty four (24) months of satisfactory service to the community
- Third Installment - $20,000 to be paid to the physician upon completion of thirty-six (36) months of satisfactory service to the community
- Fourth Installment - $30,000 to be paid to the physician upon completion of forty-eight (48) months of satisfactory service to the community
- Fifth Installment - $40,000 to be paid to the physician upon completion of sixty (60) months of satisfactory service to the community
Note: Physicians in receipt of the Rural & Regional Practice Establishment Grant (RRPEG) administered by the Saskatchewan Medical Association (SMA) will only be considered for the Rural Physician Incentive Program for year’s three (3) to five (5) of the incentive program with a total benefit under both programs not to exceed $120,000.
*Physicians providing visiting or locum services will receive pro-rated funding based on time worked in an eligible rural community as reported by the Regional Health Authority.
**Sustainable practices are those structured or networked in a manner that provides physicians with collegial peer support, work-life balance, and reasonable call schedules.
Apply for RPIP Today
Submit your application form below within ninety (90) days of completing each year of service.
CLICK HERE for your online RPIP Application Form
For more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-415-3627 (Toll Free in North America)
Also, if you're a physician looking for locum opportunities, good news! We are pleased to inform you that Regional Health Authorities in Saskatchewan are actively recruiting Family Physicians to provide locum services to communities within each region. As a Regional Locum physician you will provide locum services to the communities within the boundaries of the Regional Health Authority. Incentives for this opportunity include a signing bonus of $11,000 and a retention bonus of $10,000. Contact us for more details.